What do you feel this course (UN100) should focus on? What do you need help in, specifically?
I find it ironic that I have more homework in freshman seminar than I do in all my other classes combined! UN100 is meant to be a support structure, where you learn how to adapt to college life. In my previous stab at college and this attempt, I have learned that most classes do not have homework, they are exam-only unless it is English, math, graduate course or something else with a relatively small class size and intensive workload.
Between going to school full time and working full time, I find it difficult to manage my time properly (although not impossible); I not only have to study my ass off in biology (lab moreso than lecture!), the coloring book, studying in sociology, chem lab reports, and seminar homework, but I also have to split wood for the winter and other myriad things that comprise real life, including my girlfriend, friends and music.
I'm not whining about homework (well, some may see it that way), since I seem to be able to manage it this time around, but aside from my chemistry lab report and my anatomy coloring book, UN100 is the only class I have where I have any actual homework assignments in the high school format, and it is by far the class in which I have the most homework. If I lived in the dorms and didn't have to pull my own weight, I'd have much more time to dedicate to it, but having to pay rent, car payment, insurance, etc. requires I work full time to stay afloat.
I just flew in from Denver, and boy are my arms tired.
I'd like to end with a quote, from our own Heather Curry, referring to exams: "I feel like i walk in knowing it all and walk out knowing nothing." Amen, sister!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
True, ironically enough you will probably have the most actual "work" in this class versus others with just a few exams. My point is to give it to you all in small increments instead of leaving you hanging wondering what the hell you are supposed to be doing. But, bonus, there are no tests/exams!!
I take offense to "high school format" :( Because UN100 is to help you succeed, I like to make it as painless as possible by giving you assignment sheets with checklists, so..
I hear ya though, splitting wood, working full-time, having a LIFE etc.. are all difficult to do in addition to a full-time college schedule. Be glad you don't have children as well -- see, things could be worse. ;)
Heather definitely has a point we need to focus on and that is why I want to bring the class back to the true UN100: how do we retain info, why do we forget it, and why do we freak out in tests?
10/10
i had a freshman seminar class once. it was bs. i never went. i got kicked out of that school...
I agree that we have more homework in UN100 than we do in any other class. I'm not complaining that it's hard work, it's just very time consuming. Especially for you since you have a full time job plus school work. I am thankful I don't have a job right now, but I probably will within the next month just because I am a broke college student. (haha). BUT--we can be very thankful that we don't get a ton of homework in Chemistry and Anatomy because if we did...that would SUCK!
Well good luck with school and work. Hope everything works out for you in the end, and just think-- it will definitely be worth it.
Yes it will :)
And you're right Cori...a ton of homework in anatomy and chemistry would suck. Suppose I should be grateful :)
Post a Comment