Last night was horrible. I got off work around 11:30, did as much anatomy homework as I could (which wasn't much), and went to bed around 1. Set my alarms for 5:30 so I could get up and finish notating Chapter 5.
Our kitty Sassy (five year old calico, seven toes on each foot! (Sassy is short for sasquatch (bigfoot) due to her ginormous paws)) suffered kidney failure in late July, and we've been injecting 250mL of a saline solution into her daily (although we've been weaning her off of it since she's been drinking on her own). However, a byproduct of the kidney failure is a lack of hormones that promote her bone marrow to produce hemoglobin...it's not a lack of iron (our water makes sure of that! LOL) but again, a failure of her kidneys. It was only a matter of time.
Her condition had been improving; when we took her to the vet in July she was very lethargic and had lost most of her body weight (going from 12-15 lb to around 5lb) and her crea and BUN levels were literally off the charts. With heavy IV injection and force-feeding special food and medicines, we were able to bring her levels back down except for her iron content. We were able to encourage her to eat and drink on her own, and everything was going good for the most part. Then the last couple days she'd been pretty down, staying on the bed and only getting up to eat, drink or use the litter box. But yesterday she hardly moved, and when she did she could not get up. I helped her get up but she couldn't walk - her muscles have atrophied to the point where they can't support her weight (which is probably around 2 lb atm).
So I was up all night until about 4:30 caring for Sassy, and my gf Kasey (she's her cat) as well. I passed out at 4:30, slept through the 5:30 alarms and woke up around 7:20 on my own. Just enough time to throw on some clothes, grab all my school stuff and zip to Jamrich for Human Anatomy.
Didn't do too badly in class today; save for Chemistry lecture I was able to immerse myself in the subjects so well that I barely even thought about it.
Our appointment to put Sassy down is at 3:40.
Then, I have to drive Kasey home, comfort her the best I can, and drive back to town, and work from 5-11.
Then I get to wake up tomorrow morning and meet my academic advisor (my appt. had to be postponed).
Wow, 9/11 sucks.
...I love you, Sassy kitty. ;_;
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm sorry about your kitty :(
I am impressed that you still went to class though, das ist sehr conscientious!
Wish you well..
Yep, and I went to work too.
Glad I did, it kept my mind off it for the most part.
I think putting Sassy down is the toughest thing I've had to do this year, if not ever. ...I've never held the hand of a living thing as it gave up the ghost before. A very, very revealing moment - and I can't explain the energy I felt at that particular moment.
Pets are hard enough, I had to do that with my Grandmother. OK not euthanasia, but her last cancer-riddled moments. I'm sure you did feel some energy, there has to be some sort of transfer and lingering of energy!
I had a Siamese cat for 23 years, I know it's tough.
Kudos to you for going to class AND work - it does keep your mind occupied.
I dread the day when I will have to go through that with my dog :(
Yeah :( I watched my grandma and grandpa both die (not at the exact moment of death, but I did watch them both deteriorate)...yeah, not fun.
Sassy was originally Kasey's cat, Fluff is mine...I rue the day I have to do the same thing with Fluff.
Going to class and work was hard enough; not telling anyone what was going on and pretending that I wasn't having a horrible day was the absolute hardest part.
But it's over now, and I feel a little bit better now that it's been a day (actually, it's been exactly 24 hours. whoa...) ...yeah.
Post a Comment