Thursday, October 2, 2008

Amateur Sociological Observation

So I'm sitting in the 3rd floor atrium of the NSF waiting for my Chemistry lab.

There are 17 people here, including myself, about eight of which are in my Chem lecture and also came from an exam.

Six girls came in a group (funny how they do that). One heads for an empty chair, the other five sit in a circle in the center of hte floor (but not in the patterned square, they picked the exact center of the atrium).

The one sitting donw in the chair looks back at the other five and goes "Losers!", and the others give her a dirty look, negatively socially sanctioning her for her smart-aleck comment. She mutters "just kidding, you guys" under her breath, obviously feeling bad for giving them shit for abandoning her. She's now lost in Facebook, trying not to care.

The five in the center are excluding the girl sitting in the chair; four or them are rushing through last week's lab assignment due in 10 miunutes, the other is playing a computer game.

Peoplewatching fascinates me; I never cease to get a kick out of the way people behave, especially in groups. Wow, teenage girls are vicious. :P

7 comments:

Sarah Simmons said...

Okay, why would you write about that? That's somewhat mean saying we are vicious even though we aren't, we all are friends, and it's not like we were disturbing anyone anyways. You should probably think about what you write online, seeings how everyone can read it, and by posting this, you probably hurt people's feelings, so who's vicious now?

MmeSimon said...

haha "lost in Facebook", totally observant, as half the campus seems to be!

That statement cracked me up ;)

Ðave said...

First, let me apologize. I'm truly sorry if I hurt your feelings; I meant absolutely no harm by it. I didn't know anyone in that group personally, nor did I use any names. I never cut anyone down, nor did I make any personal insults, nor did I say you were harming anyone or that you personally or anyone among that group were bad people. I simply people-watched and wrote my musings on my blog. That is all. My apologies again if you were offended.

It is interesting to me that you would take offense to my taking a snapshot of your life (assuming by the defensive stance in your comment that you were among this group of girls I described). I made no allusion to whom any of you were other than you came in a group and sat in the center of the Atrium. I made no personal attacks nor connections to anything in real life other than a harmless musing about the way girls treat each other (which, after watching a particular Lindsay Lohan movie and taking sociology, made me think about it).

I'm glad you read my blog! and I'm also glad it evoked feelings. I'm sorry those feelings were negative, and I'll try to refrain from offending you again; that said, I don't understand why your feelings are hurt and am curious as to why you'd take offense to that. I personally don't really see that post as being vicious in any way. I'd love if you were to explain your position a little further.

Cheers,
Dave

Sarah Simmons said...

Okay well first of all i didn't say i was offended i said, "by posting this you probably hurt people's feelings." and you probably did. I find it weird that you were observing us, are we really that interesting? I don't really care that you wrote about us, it actually amuses me, that you would take the time to write about people "you don't even know"

all in all i don't really care i was just wondering why you would write about us.

sar

Heather said...

i won't lie i took offense to this, i don't feel it was necessary to post a blog about us when it was clear to all the ppl in the room who we all are. I feel you precieve us as vicious making others that read this precieve us as vicious. Just watch your words next time.

Heather said...

oh by the way, the movie mean girls is a movie not real life.... no girl in their right mind would act like that

Ðave said...

Sarah: "all in all i don't really care i was just wondering why you would write about us."

Because I literally had nothing better to do. I was waiting for chemistry lab, and yes, you really were that interesting.

I promise to be more careful. :)

Heather: "oh by the way, the movie mean girls is a movie not real life.... no girl in their right mind would act like that"

Of course it's not real life, but movies are based upon real life. If girls didn't act like that to one another - at least on some level - the movie would have no relevance and wouldn't be successful. Without that element of truth, a movie would be pointless (and sometimes, even with that element of truth they're still pointless!)

Guys are just as vicious. I just wasn't observing guys. :)