Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Blogs 9-11: Holy Playing Catchup, Batman!

It's a personal observation of mine that the more time you spend living life, the less time you spend blogging it. The Blog King has fallen, but I seem to have gotten up again.

BLOG NINE

1) What are you most stressed-out with at the moment? Why? Is your body re-acting to this stress? Devise a plan to deal with it.

Right now, money or lack thereof. The residence headache is over with, and I'm all settled into the new place. Got Internet and cable hooked up today, and it's about effing time.

Anyway, my plan to deal with it is to find a new job. I really like the job I have right now, I really enjoy it, but it just plain flat out ain't paying the bills and I have to scrounge for a job that will. Those are hard to find in this economy.

2) FFN: Chapter 8 / This is a creative writing exercise! Read the following scenario and finish it based on your knowledge after reading Chapter 8.

You are "Raul" and have just immigrated to the American West illegally from Mexico. You brought your wife and two young children with you on a frightening and expensive 4-day journey in the back of a beat-up truck to arrive in Texas. You can't find work there and Border Patrol is cracking down, so you decide to migrate north a bit where you have relatives in Colorado. You are hired on the spot by ConAgra to work in one of their "beef processing" plants.

-Describe in sensory detail your place of employment. (What's it look like, what is going on, how do people act, what do you wear, what is your job? etc..)
-How much $$$ do you earn?
-How do your days go? What are your work hours and what do you do after work?
-Where do you live, what do you live in, how is your quality of life?

I'll save this one for when I have some time.

BLOG TEN

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."--Nelson Mandela

Chapter: 11 - please answer the following question on your Blog.

"Who are the people in your life that you tend to turn to for social support when you are experiencing stress or need personal encouragement?"

In times of duress I oftentimes shut myself off from society and, as was mentioned in class yesterday, I tend to keep relatively few social relationships. I tend to anyway, just because I have a really tough time dealing with superficial relationships - medium relationships are difficult for me to maintain. You're either one of my very close friends or you're an acquaintance that I keep at a distance, not due to anything other than the fact I really have no idea how to conduct a medium-level relationship. I put a lot of emotional stake into the relationships I forge and take things highly personally when it comes to friendships, and I have been burned in the past. The older I get, the more socially experienced I get, the easier it gets (sorry to use "get" so much) to conduct myself socially, but I have years and years of pariahdom to overcome and it's really difficult, especially with the latter half of my exile being of my own volition.

Right now, my complete trust lies only with Kasey (my gf), and the only other close relationships I'm really maintaining at the moment are with my mom, dad, brother, and Trent. Other than that I'm pretty much staying out of the social limelight due to how horrible of a month it's been.

BLOG ELEVEN

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood.” –Stephen Covey

1) Reflect upon what you read in Chapter 11 of Thriving in College. What does this quote mean to you or how can you apply it to your life?

I'll call from the Wiccan Rede: "Soft of eye and light of touch; speak ye little, listen much."

I spent most of my life trying to get the world to get me, and then I basically went "screw you guys" and became a recluse. Now, I've grown up a bit, and I've noticed that you've gotta try to see things from others' point of view before anyone will really give you the time of day, and when I see other people making the same mistake I want to tell them the answer - but I also know that when I was young and stupid (well, I'm still stupid) I wouldn't listen either, and I think I was even told this a few times. Some things you just gotta learn on your own.

2) (Refer to page 380 of the text):
Are you a “Crisis Tickler,” “Withholder,” “Irritator,” “Blamer,” or “Gunnysacker?” Explain.

Well, I think that withholders and gunnysackers are one and the same, and gunnysacker just sounds funnier. If I don't want to blow up at the person I'm pissed off at, I'll oftentimes just leave the room. I can't bring myself to blow up at people, and oftentimes I take it out on myself, most usually in the form of beating myself up emotionally until I lose sleep over it. I lose a lot of sleep, and end up sleeping through the morning. Happens a lot actually.

It also really bothers me when people keep grudges. I tend to forgive and forget rather quickly, and it perplexes me how people can harbour a grudge over the dumbest things.

How'd you guys like my awesome skating skillz? :)

1 comment:

MmeSimon said...

Your skating skills were rad! Glad to see the Blog King has arisen!

Love this:
"I'll call from the Wiccan Rede: "Soft of eye and light of touch; speak ye little, listen much."

I spent most of my life trying to get the world to get me, and then I basically went "screw you guys" and became a recluse. Now, I've grown up a bit, and I've noticed that you've gotta try to see things from others' point of view before anyone will really give you the time of day, and when I see other people making the same mistake I want to tell them the answer - but I also know that when I was young and stupid (well, I'm still stupid) I wouldn't listen either, and I think I was even told this a few times. Some things you just gotta learn on your own."

You're right, gotta listen to people but they must be people we deem valuable enough to listen. I've been burned too with friendships so I am like you - my trust relationships are few and far inbetween and all the rest are superficial. Why bother to keep a medium level really?

You have a lot in common with my hubby. He too spent his entire life trying to find people who would get him, to no avail (cept me of course!). I admire you both for this- for not settling on anything (or anyone) and finding those who are worthy enough of your friendship.

Good wiccan quote!!

I'm gonna miss your blogs. I hope you keep it up even when class finishes :) They are always so fun and enlightening to read. You have a lot to offer this world; don't let anyone tell you different.

10/10