Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blog #12

b*Have you met anyone new who is important to you? Have you rekindled any old friendships that have made you stronger?

I've known Chris for 4-5 years now, but never really got to know him until this year, seeing as I share 80% of my classes with him this term (except anatomy lab and sociology).

Other than that, I've had a really tough time making friends out of my UN100 cohorts - what friends I have made of my peers have been half-friendships, and I'm not socially skilled enough to maintain medium-depth friendships. You're either my best friend whom I pledge undying loyalty to, whom I invest lots of emotional stake, or you're someone I just smile and say hello to in the hallway. I'm really bad at small talk, and really bad at maintaining friendships in the middle, especially to 18-19 year old girls, especially when they're cool (or hot!) and I might end up liking them when I'm still crazy about Kasey (even after 4 years!). Especially when I'm a complete dork and they can't stand me anyway.

*Have you experienced any major changes academically or personally?

I found myself reprioritizing my study habits. To be honest, I really cared a lot at the beginning of the semester about everything, and as about week 5-6 rolled around I figured out which classes I needed to care about and cared more in these classes and less in others. I prioritized sociology a bit low around midterm time, bombed one test and learned my lesson.

I think the most important thing I learned this semester I learned in school but not in any of my classes, and that is: keep real life and school life separate. Real life has been pretty much hell for the last 4-5 months and it's been tough enough just to keep my head above water financially, and I've lost a lot of sleep for it. That said, I haven't slacked off too much and I've kept whipping myself into doing my homework. When I go to class, I leave my real life behind, and become an entirely different person.

I've also found that I behave differently in each class too:
  • In Anatomy, I tune everyone out except Dr. Froiland. No matter how many asides Chris tries to sneak in there, I pretty much blow him off, not to be a douchebag but because I seriously need to copy down every word he says.
  • In Chemistry, I try to pay attention. I really do. But I seriously learned this crap in 11th grade. On the last quiz (6) I was the only person to get 20/20 in my class. (Surprised me!) I'm not pulling 100% like I was for the first 6 weeks, I miss one here and there and my lab grades aren't perfect. This is the only class where I'm guilty of doing my blog, Facebook, games, etc. I just can't pay attention when it's crap I already know. Dr. Li's teaching it fine, it's just seriously stuff I already learned. She has in the past pulled me out of a game I was playing, had me come up to the board and I was like boom boom bang done. (Funny story. Once, I was actually paying attention, and she had me come up to the board and I made like four mistakes and had to go back to the board twice to the comic relief of the class, but I was a zombie that morning and didn't care, lol.)
  • In Freshman Seminar, I actually feel like I can be myself. You have no idea how valuable that is, to have an environment where I can be comfortable in front of people that I didn't know until now and would never otherwise hang around with (mostly because I'm 26 and they're 18-19) and I've learned that cheerleaders are people too :) but they hate being studied sociologically!
  • In Sociology, well, that's a whole other story. Love the class, and it's super easy, but the book is so difficult and unjoyous to read that I can't stay focused in it, and I can't study from it. So I consistently pull 82-88% on my exams (less one bomb).

*What is your one BEST or FAVORITE memory of this semester?

Outside of school: probably playing Rubber Fest in Escanaba on 10/14.
In school: playing Cigarette for my sociology class, all while wearing that Scream-Meets-Terminator mask I had.

*How will you live your life to the fullest?

I can't live my life to the fullest, because I have too much responsibility in me. If I were to live life to the fullest, I'd be a touring musician. Can't support yourself, let alone a family, on that, and you can't further your education while you're doing that either. So I grew up. *shrug* Hell, I get blown off by the other musicians in fucking Marquette!

1 comment:

MmeSimon said...

Oh, but you're wrong. You are already living life way more fuller than a lot of people. You won't always be delivering pizzas and struggling financially. The fact that you had the cajones and determination to return to school and succeed proves that you are indeed trying to live a fuller life.

"In Freshman Seminar, I actually feel like I can be myself. You have no idea how valuable that is, to have an environment where I can be comfortable in front of people that I didn't know until now and would never otherwise hang around with (mostly because I'm 26 and they're 18-19) and I've learned that cheerleaders are people too :) but they hate being studied sociologically!"

This makes me extremely happy because honestly, I never tried to put too much stake in academic grades but if I can get you guys to know each other, learn from each other, rely on each other, and BE YOURSELVES - then I have done my job. :)

I wish you the best in life. I hope you continue your blogs because they are so fun to read and I enjoy the laugh they give me everytime I read them. The real "LOL" hahaha..
10/10 and so much more!